Inspired by the well-known “Humans of New York” project, CMJ 111 students created Humans of CMJ to share stories about people in our Department.

Students from CMJ 111 recently completed an in-class project named “Humans of CMJ,” which was inspired by the popular Humans of New York (HONY) project. Led by Professor Ellie Markovitch, Lecturer in Journalism, students aim to share stories featuring the CMJ department’s diverse group of students, faculty, and staff. Participants shared their unique experiences, challenges, and aspirations through a series of captions and photographs.

I’m not so much afraid of what I will do, but more about what I haven’t done. I always think about the Silvia Plath quote where she is sitting under the fig tree and each fig represents a career or a place she could live in the future. And the longer she waits to make that decision all the figs drop around her and crumple up, and I always think of that especially when I want to do everything. So it is not that I think I will regret something I have done, but more that I will regret what I don’t do.” – Caty

Photo and interview by Maizy Weirich

The project aims to bring attention to the often-unheard voices within the department and serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of storytelling and the impact it can have on fostering a sense of community and understanding.

Some of the students in this project are now enrolled in Ellie’s CMJ 261 course –Photographic Reporting and Storytelling and CMJ 351, Audio and Video Production. The project’s team is currently in the process of compiling the stories and photographs for a final publication within CMJ’s Instagram, which will be available to the CMJ community and the public. Follow us on Instagram and stay tuned for more!